Placement Opportunity 2019/20
Closing date for submissions: 16th November 2018
Plymouth - 1 Year - £16,500
We are looking for talented, enthusiastic, hard-working Placement Students, with an interest in the analysis and development of web applications in the roles of business analyst or developer. You will join our friendly, innovative and growing team, currently more than 30 people, based at our offices in Plymouth overlooking Dartmoor.
You will be working on large scale, high profile projects often using the latest technologies which means that you can really develop and showcase your skills.
GOSS was founded in 1999, and today comprises around 60 people, of whom more than a third are ex-Plymouth University students (including our MD!). We are an award-winning, growing software business - the largest in the South-West - based on the edge of Dartmoor, and with our nearest beach just 25 minutes away.
What you'll do
- Under the guidance and leadership of Senior team members, you will work in a matrix team environment, often in an agile way, with Business Analysts, Developers, Project Managers, UCD / UX Experts and Network Support Engineers delivering a wide variety of challenging and interesting projects - some client-facing, others around product development.
- You will work closely with our software developers to deliver well considered, easy to use, attractive web applications.
- You'll contribute towards our goal of continually improving our development processes and delivering outstanding software.
- You'll learn about software development in a commercial environment and gain real world experience of designing, building, maintaining and supporting web based applications.
- You will receive a mix of on-the-job and more formal technical training.
Who you are
You will have skills/experience of some of the below;
- Business analysis techniques for engaging with clients and eliciting requirements
- Skilled in clear and concise technical writing
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills
- An understanding of software development lifecycles and methodologies (ideally Scrum and Kanban)
- Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- HTML/CSS with an understanding of semantic mark-up and accessibility
- Knowledge of Java and/or C#.NET
- And most of all, an enthusiasm for producing web based software; be it at the 'design end' producing fully defined requirements and designs to address client needs, 'front end' utilising UI/UX skills or the 'back end' focusing on databases, architecture and performance.
What's it like to do your Placement and to work at GOSS?
Dominic Youel, a Plymouth Uni graduate, who did his placement with GOSS and now works as a permanent member of the team, said:
"My mentor is excellent and I have learned a huge amount. I've been encouraged to use my creativity. It's a very relaxed place to work. Everyone sat around me is highly experienced and free cake is startlingly common. Oh and one afternoon, I saw a huge herd of deer grazing outside my window - not many software companies can offer that!"
The team at GOSS enjoys a range of benefits such as company pensions, childcare vouchers, cycle to work scheme and support for development and training.
If you have any great examples of your recent work, please include a link and brief description alongside your application.
This post is based in Plymouth, UK. Applications from candidates living outside of the UK will be considered for the position provided the candidates can demonstrate that they are eligible to work in the UK.